I'm not a really big fan of westerns. In fact, the last western I liked was Tombstone. What sparked my interest about this movie was actually a website http://www.pandora.com/. While I was at work, the random playlist brought me to "Song For Bob" by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis. Fantastic music--loved it immediately and felt emotionally moved by the music so much so that I had to rent the movie. So, I went to http://www.redbox.com/ (I like going to redbox and all, but I much prefer knowing what's there before I make the trip since the selection can be random) reserved the movie, and picked it up later that night. So now that you know the soundtrack is phenominal (if nothing else, you will at least love that) it's time you knew about the movie. Although I wouldn't say BEST performance of all time for Brad Pitt (I rather loved him in Meet Joe Black the best) I would say that this is a stunning performance by Casey Affleck (Robert Ford).
You and his character go through a range of emotions--despise, adoration, idiolization, love, disgust, regret, melancholy, disgrace, humiliation, and remorse. Interestingly enough, the movie's soundtrack is a beautiful background and enhances each performance in the cast. (Much like Amelie, the music compliments--never overpowers) Sam Rockwell (Charles Ford) was my second favorite character. There is a scene where they are standing on a frozen lake and Jesse asks him about suicide. Charles says he never really thinks about it, because he can always think of something later that will cheer him up and he moves on. Later when Charles and Robert are plotting the demise of Jesse, despite all that Jesse had put them through, Charles asked Robert "how he could help arrest their friend?". And, in the end, Charles couldn't think of anything that could cheer him up after the assassination of Jesse James and ironically--committed suicide.
The most obvious lesson: Regret. You know Robert Ford will regret it. You know it! But he doesn't seem to know it. Jesse's brother, Frank, regrets never reconciling before Jesse's death. Charles regrets allowing his brother to assassinate Jesse.
The not-so-obvious lesson: Self-loathing.
Does Robert Ford hate himself so much that he wants to be Jesse James? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R67ZTjGw8MM&feature=related
Why does Jesse James hate himself enough that he allows himself to be assassinated?
Did he take the coward's way out, or was it his one final act of good will by letting a meek, little Robert Ford take down the country's most notorious criminal?
Did Robert Ford really think that this was the only way his peers would finally come to love, accept and adore him?
In the end, do you think Robert Ford got what he deserved--or maybe you think that he thought he deserved it?
Watch the movie and you tell me.
1 comment:
Hooray for Carol having a blog!!! Like the music. Never heard of the movie, of course it seems that I have never heard of any movie that comes out. Sounds like a pick-me-up kind of show:)
Carol, you belong here in NYC, you movie lover you. A few months back I was walking my kids home from music lessons and we walk by this big white tent (which was blocking traffic BTW) with a gigantic black carpet rolled out underneath it. Why? The US premier of the Dark Night. Cast and all- well except Heath Ledger. Right next to music lessons. Had to laugh....only in NY.
Post a Comment