
Happy Halloween!
On Friday, we had our Halloween Party at Challenger. I wore my Mrs. Incredible costume, which I think the only thing incredible about it is that I managed to have an incredible wedgie all day long. And, I couldn't do anything about it because I had to have Mrs. Cook pin my costume together in the back. I would like to meet the genius that thinks that two 1/2 inch circle pieces of velcro is strong enough to keep a costume on. Probably the same guy that thought of hospital gowns.
So I thought that trying to teach kids in costume would be a lot more difficult than teaching kids in uniforms. Actually, it's not. I think this is because children are always imagining themselves as these characters anyway--whether it's Darth Vadar, a policeman, or Supergirl; the costume is only distracting because they are are busy looking at what all their friends are wearing. I let them spend a little bit more time talking and playing in the morning so they could get that out of their system and once that phase was over, we could get the morning going without a hitch.

Before they went to lunch, the kindergarten classes were invited to walk through a "spook" alley that the middle school class had put together. So, I was thinking--honestly, how scary could this little spook alley be? They gave some of the kids an option to sit out if they wanted to, but I thought--why would they be scared? I'm sure it will just be some halloween lights and kids dressed up like ghosts and vampires. Uhmm....oh, yeah--I was wrong. This spook alley was more like a mini version of the Haunted Forest. They had zombies and really good scary make-up on. I mean, it was like 2 minutes long, but I had one student crying and three others clinging on to me for dear life. I'm glad that they went to lunch right afterward because I don't think I would've been able to calm them down after that experience.
After lunch, we had a couple different stations the children got to go through--pin the face on the pumpkin, snack, musical chairs, a black cat craft and scary story time. It didn't go quite as Mrs. Cook and I had hoped--but, I don't think that the kids knew the difference and the parents didn't really seem to mind the chaos.
Overall, it was a fun day--and the kids were, of course, adorable. I think all their costumes suited their personalities beautifully:


No comments:
Post a Comment