Tuesday, November 9, 2010

This Halloween the most popular mask is the Arnold Schwarzenegger mask. And the best part? With a mouth full of candy you will sound just like him.

Is it weird that I'm listening to Christmas music while I post Halloween pictures? If it is, bring on the weird! The Halloween Party of 2010 was a giant success--of course! This year, we decided to add in haunted gingerbread houses in order to go with the theme of Twisted Fairy Tales. We also decorated the outside of Bert and Angie's house as the witch's gingerbread house to go with that theme as well:

The gingerbread men are warning you that this may not be a good idea....

My skeleton gingerbread man was Brady's favorite
You can see Hansel in the cage and Gretel in the cauldron. Guess they didn't get away after all...
We decided to dinner outside this year because Bert and Angie's basement was occupied by boxes. It actually ended up working out fantastically; it was a very warm day on Friday and the canyon winds weren't blow as bad as usual. It was a Halloween miracle.
After people ate dinner we wanted them to build the house (but not decorate) just so it would have time to dry so it could be properly decorated later that evening. In case people thought they could just shlop something together, Deborah made sure to bring this demonstration so that people would bring their "A" game that night.
And as for the guests, I have to say I was pretty impressed with the twisted fairytales people were able to come up with!
A blind prince with his "princess"
Red Riding Hood and the Wolf get married
Her fairy godmother never showed up--so she was helped by her fairy-freakin' Godfather....
Murderous Dorothy and her scarecrow victim
Rupunzel's brother and the evil witch
King Triton and Ursula--they're actually brother and sister
The Tin Man--who now collects hearts; Rapunzel who strangled herself to death with her long hair
Sally and Jack (one of my favorite twisted tales)
Knocked up Princess (missing prince) and Jack Sprat who doesn't eat fat--but doesn't mind eating human flesh
Dorothy--killed by the tornado. Never made it to Emerald City. (Also twisted because Brock is wearing spandax)
Jack Frost woos Mother Nature
So the first game was more of a simple game to get the juices flowing. You had to put on some gloves and then try and open the eyeball candy and then pass the gloves. First team to finish, wins. I thought it would go fast, but it appears eating candy with gloves is harder than I originally thought.....
Next game was "Catch the ghost". Everyone lined up and had to have their teammate through a ghost (for the less imaginative, it was a marshmallow) that they had to catch with their mouth. Once the entire team went through, they would win! One flaw in the game that Angie and I did not foresee: marshmallows being smashed into the carpet. When we practiced, we kept using the same marshmallow until she finally caught it. Lesson learned: we are less sanitary than the people at the party.

Last game of the evening was Halloween Taboo. The rules of Taboo are apparently still under debate even though the game has been out for years. I made it clear that you couldn't use any part of the words--even if people say them! Read the rules, people! It was a lot of fun, though. Girls vs. Boys and girls had a pretty good lead until Jason came in and got 10 points for the boys in the final round. There is always next year, ladies!

Afterwards we decorated the Haunted Gingerbread houses. While everyone was doing that, I tallied the votes for the Funniest, Scariest and Best Overall Costumes, as well as Best Appetizer and Dessert.
Best Haunted Gingerbread house:
Nice work!--mostly to Brittany, but I'm sure Kyle helped
Best Appetizer:
Britney's bones dipped in blood
Best Dessert:
Tiff's graveyards in a cup

Funniest Costume:
Kyle as Rapunzel's brother
Scariest Costume:
Patrick as the Heart-Collecting Tin Man
BEST OVERALL:
Julie and Seth tied for best as Mother Nature married to Jack Frost

Thanks for coming everyone! I had a really great time, and I hope you all did too! See you all next year!


1 comment:

Julie Sainsbury said...

Super sweet party Carol! I really did love it! I took a few pictures of the people that came too and didn't know if you wanted them or not to give to the different people.just let me know!