We would like everyone to meet the newest addition to our family: HarleyQuinn Greenhalgh (or Harley, as we call her. It's only HarleyQuinn when she's in trouble.) No, we aren't in love with motorcycles....she is actually officially named after the Joker's girlfriend, Harley Quinn, who was always my favorite character in the Batman series....and it was the only name Brady would even consider. And since she is only a dog, and we spent hours discussing names, I can only imagine the fun we will have trying to name a human being. We had to drive up to Ogden to get the little princess. The girl selling them had 3 little pug puppies in the back of her truck, but I knew she was "the one" because she was the only one that didn't nip at my hand when I reached in to pet them. I knew I didn't want to have to try and teach my dog not to nip at people, on top of trying to keep her from peeing all over the place and tearing up the carpet. (she still does those things--but at least she never tries to nip at me!!)
Harley is our first attempt at parenting. Just reading about owning a puppy freaked me out enough to stall for a year or two--so, I'm considering not even reading a book about children until I have one so I don't psych myself out. Then, the early, early mornings to take her out for
her potty, then the grooming, taking her for walks, training, and finding out about places that aren't "dog friendly" so changing around my entire lifestyle so that we can accomodate her. Wait a second! This is exactly like a kid except for the part where she will never be able to talk back to me. Hahahaha!!

Luckily for us, Harley really does have a really sweet, easy-going personality. When we used to let her in our room (well....before she peed in there) as soon as I would open the door, she would run right into the closet and snuggle in between a couple of my shirts and look up at me. It was probably the most adorable thing I had ever seen. Good luck, impressing me with anything, future children. After Harley and Landon, you'll need a truly remarkable adorableness act.

Probably the best thing about Harley is that she doesn't get overwhelmed by the "love" of neices and nephews. Brady and I put into a lot of research into a dog before we finally bought one, and a huge requirement for me was that it would have to be a good family dog. The great thing about Harley is that she seems to be extremely resilient when it comes to small children wanting to grab her by the hind legs, hug her super tight, or just push her off of their laps when she licks them too much. Although, Jared doesn't push her off ever. Pretty sure he gets jealous if he sees her licking other kids. I'll have to get some pictures of how she literally attacks Jared's face with kisses. He must just apply food to his face instead of eating it.
One thing to note about our little girl is that she has been impossible to train. As far as getting her outside and going on the grass (as seen below, on her way to that patch of grass) she has no problem with it--as long as it's not raining, too hot, too cold or (as was the case this morning) snowing. She will just sit there and look up at me wondering what the hell I'm thinking going outside in that kind of weather. When it was pouring rain outside one morning, she just sat between my legs, under me and my umbrella. Of course, as soon as the little devil was back inside she peed on the carpet. Beware if Harley visits your home on a poor weather day.....

5 comments:
good luck with all that....ha!
Owen is on my lap as I read this. Get ready for one excited two-year-old when Christmas comes!! He LOVES dogs. LOVES them. It is somewhat of an unhealthy, often unreciprocated love. We will see what Harley thinks of him. I already know from Owens reaction "Dog, dog, ohhhhh! dog!dog! ohhhh! That he will be in love instantaneously. When are you out here in NY? You are going to come visit right???
Harley is sooo cute! She can come pee on my carpet anytime! The same goes for Brady.
She is SOOOO cute!! I can't wait to meet her. That would be hilarious if Owen and Hunter met Harley at the same time. Hunter loves dogs too and will call just about any animal a dog. Plus, "dog" is like one of the 20 words that he says. This was my favorite of all your blogs (so far) because I could tell how much you love your little Harley...she probably makes you want to pull your hair out sometimes, but if anything she'll make you more patient for when those kiddos DO finally come! :) Miss you!
Are you dressing your puppy up for halloween?? I saw a picture of the same dog you have in devil horns and cape it was SO cute and it made me think of you!!
Post a Comment