Friday, January 23, 2009

Go on then, run!...Isn't there some kind of like, special technique? ...you put one leg in front of the other over and over again really really fast

So this past weekend Brady and I made the lovely trip down to Arizona for the P.F. Changs Rock n' Roll 1/2 Marathon. If you look at this link here there are some additional pictures that were taken along the race by the photography group Action Sports International during the race. I actually look like I'm in pain in a lot of the pictures. Probably because I was in pain from mile 10 and on. I wasn't feeling well about....oh, a week before the race and I kind of ignored it. The night before the race I did a terrible job carbing up. I had oatmeal for breakfast, salad for lunch, and 2 peices of thin crust pizza (and a very delicious nutella dessert! NUTELLA!). Needless to say, I suffered for it the next day. And I didn't do a good job of eating before the race either. I ate toast and a 1/4 of a nutrition bar. These are the things you should not be doing before a race, by the way. Ask Pat and Ana the right way.
Anyways, I guess Brady got pretty bored waiting for me at the end of the race because I was about 20 minutes off my projected arrival time. So he took pictures of the other twats who made it in before me.
Pretty embarrassing that this person beat me to the finish line:
But so glad that Brady was able to document that she did.

So luckily Brady waited around a lot longer because he was able to capture this beautiful shot of me running towards the finish line.

Actually, I don't think I look like I'm running anymore...
...Or if I am, it's at the speed of about 1 mph


So anyways, after the race, I got my finisher's medal and then wandered over to the family and friends waiting area. We were all supposed to meet under the letter 'W' because not a lot of people are in that area. I really
When Brady finally found me, I was semi-unconscience
I thought, if I sit up, this could be my last time. And then Pat and Ana come running over as if they had been sitting on the sidelines the whole race. Ana was like jumping all around because she qualified for the Boston Marathon *kudos to the beautiful Ana*. They were talking to Brady about the race and I stayed in that very position for the entire time they talked. It wasn't until they decided to take a picture of us that I had to move.
And don't I look pleased about it?
And then only one picture wasn't enough....
Again, sheer joy on my face...you can see it right? Well, you can see it on Pat and Ana's face at least. That's how I felt on the deep inside, I promise.
We went to Chili's for lunch, and I had some delicious BBQ ribs which instantly made me feel better. You know how on videogames you can give your person health by having them eat food? I always thought that was silly until this day.

My only regret on this trip was the fact that I didn't take any pictures with my dear friends, Brooke and Alex. They were so nice to take us in, let us use their car (and get flashed), and feed us their food. We also had a lot of fun seeing Sarah and Tyler for the first time in a very long time--and meeting their daughter Lily for the first time.

The trip home was pretty fun. We got to play games like "I spy", "That Alphabet Game", and "What makes this sound?" (In case you haven't played it, don't let your first experience be with Pat or Brady.) We stopped to get some dinner at a Jack-in-the-Box and landed the world's most incompetent fast food employee in the world. Now, I'm not one to be mean to fast food employees because I know it's not the world's most amazing occupation. But this guy literally had no idea what we were saying. Anytime we would order something, he repeated back something completely different. Kudos to Pat for being as patient as he was. After 15 minutes, the guy only had 1 of the 5 orders up on the drive through order screen, and it was wrong.

So we went to Burger King.





6 comments:

Theresa said...

Good Job Carol!! The next one you run, you will have to run with me so you can feel better about your time. Also, when it is done, I will lay on the grass next to you for hours as well :). Love the pictures, you look awesome. Except for the one where you are pulling "the determined granny face." See if you can figure out which one that is....

Anonymous said...

Cool trip. Way to go Forrest!! Why doesn't Brady run with you? Oh, probably b/c you need a camera man. I feel out of breath just READING that post. Good job.

Natalie said...

You want to run the Chicago Marathon in October? We're going to. You don't have to qualify or anything. So what time did Ana get? I tried to search for her, but couldn't find her name on the site. She must be quite the runner to qualify for the Boston Marathon! How long has she been running? I'm envious of her awesomeness.

Marcus Lane said...

we are still proud of you even though you didn't dress up. BRING ON THE SLC MARATHON NOW, WOO WOO!!

Ana said...

So, wonder Mama, why why why do you have to be so cool?? If I were as cool as you are then I would not have to run. Thanks for blogging about the race. I need to copy and paste it so there is some documentation in my life. And thanks for blogging about Christmas, too. And your birthday, etc. Maybe I could get laid off and get paid for a while so I could get caught up on my blog. I am positive I would still be a blog loser.

Anonymous said...

Carol, it's officially March. Almost March 10th and still no new words on you guys. What is going on man???!!!?? You've got to be doing SOMETHING with your time! Fill me in. Did you get my email about coming to Utah for the summer??